Ringcraft training is held on a Monday evening from 7:30pm to 9:30pm. Our training classes are held at St Giles Church Hall. You will find more information on the “About Us” page ~ just click on the link above.
Ringcraft is training for the handler and dog to prepare them for the show ring, in an informal and relaxed environment. The training aims to replicate what you will experience in the ring if you decide to enter a dog show. In particular, training will involve the handler:
- moving their dog in a ring with other dogs;
- standing their dog in the correct position in a line with other dogs;
- presenting their dog in a ‘stand’ on the table ready to be examined;
- keeping their dog in a stand on the table whilst being examined by the trainer; and
- moving the dog in a triangle and straight up and down, just as you would at a show.
Ringcraft is a useful way of socialising puppies with other well mannered dogs and the best way to simulate show experience. It will also help both handler and dog to gain confidence and skill for the ring.
An important part of the training is for your dog to feel at ease standing on the table whilst the judge, a complete stranger, is ‘going over it’. To help with this aspect of training, experienced members will ‘go over’ your dogs to increase your dog’s exposure to new people examining them. It is not only good preparation for the Judge’s assessment it is equally important when being examined by a Veterinarian.
You are welcome to come and join us free of charge as our guest for your first week.
Weekly ringcraft fees are as follows:
One handler/1 dog £2.50
One handler/2 dogs or more £2.50 plus 50p for each additional dog
Visitors are always welcome